My teaching approach is influenced by progressive educational philosophies. I believe that teachers should act as guides working with their students in an effort to break down the hypodermic model of communication, where information is transmitted one-way from teacher to students. I have used studio-based learning in my community-engagement courses as a strategy for developing more equal partnerships between students, faculty, and community members. Therefore, I am interested in using and developing new pedagogical approaches that embrace difference as a resource and promote multiple ways of knowing in order to create more inclusive, just, and equitable learning environments.
2016- Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Science, Simmons College
2014-2016 Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Studies, University of Oklahoma
2012-2014 Teaching Assistant and Instructor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
2009-2010 Adjunct Lecturer, Department of English and Media Studies, Bentley University, Waltham, MA.
School of Library and Information Science, Simmons College (2016-)
- Public Libraries (graduate)
- Social Informatics (graduate)
- Communities of Discourse (undergraduate)
- Organizational/Information Ethics (graduate)
- Information Services for Diverse Users (graduate)
- Technology for Information Professionals (graduate)
School of Library and Information Studies, University of Oklahoma (2014-2016)
- Community Relations and Advocacy (graduate)
- Evaluation Methods (graduate)
- Leadership in Information Organizations (graduate)
- Social Informatics (undergraduate/graduate)
Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2012-2014)
- Co-Instructor, Community Informatics Studio (graduate)
- Co-Instructor, Introduction to Networked Information Systems (graduate) [+]
- Teaching Assistant, Libraries, Information, and Society (graduate)
- Teaching Assistant, Social Aspects of Information and Communication Technology (undergraduate) [+]
Department of English and Media Studies, Bentley University (2009-2010)
- Adjunct Lecturer, Introduction to Video Production (undergraduate)
[+] = Recipient of the teaching award “University of Illinois List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students” for this class.